Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Busy weekend

This past weekend we undertook a few adventures...
First, I started my first Korean lesson. It is such a difficult language to learn and remember so I will be reviewing a lot this week to remember it all. I'm learning numbers to 10, the alphabet, and greetings. My lessons are every Saturday from 1:30-3:30 and they're free! There are about 8 of us in the class.

Second, was a huge fireworks show in Seoul. This was an incredible risk that we did not know we were undertaking. I have NEVER seen this many people in one place. I'm sure it would have broken numerous safety codes in North America. Anyways, once we got to Seoul and broke out of the crowd we decided to get something to eat. We asked someone what time the fireworks started and they said 7:30! We tried to grab something quickly (it was 7:00). But as we were heading back towards the park we heard fireworks starting to go off.
We started running really fast and finally got to the gates and ran down this sandy hill and sat to see the display. It really was the best set of fireworks I'll probably see in my life. They were done to music and there were about three sets that went for at least 10 minutes with breaks in between.

And Sunday afternoon we then had the chance to go on a hike. It was about time I had some fresh air and exercise. My lungs didn't like me very much, but it was really great. The view was pretty nice and at the end of the hike we stopped at a Buddhist temple ground. It was very cool to see.

I was going to post pictures, but the site won't let me upload any right now. So I'll try again tomorrow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

sound like you had another exciting weekend! I bet those were amazing fireworks given that they have been making them for thousands of years. Good to hear you were able to get away from the crowds & the city and go for a hike. Did you need your inhaler?
How is it being a student again?
Love you lots!!!! Mom & Dad

Mary Lou and Ron Donkersloot said...

Karen - I know you'll learn Korean quickly! Thanks for posting on the blog. We think of you - and pray for you all the time. Mary Lou

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen. Thanks for the great notes that keep us updated on what's going on in your life. I look forward to hearing what you have to say with each blog. The pictures of your hike look great, and you don't look to wrecked from the trip up. Good luck with the new language. A challenge I'm sure. We all send you our love and prayers.
Aunt Jennifer